OctoberThursday, 5 October, from 17:00 Where CaféBar, GenerationenHaus, Bahnhofplatz 2 Contact Graham Tritt Deadline Please register by the day before.
The aim is to chat and discuss interesting topics in English.
We may then attend the Expat Apero, hosted by Marianne Gauer, which takes place at the park of the Innere Enge from 18:00 to 20:00. And the English/Speaking club which is open from 8 pm (Andy is on bar)
added on Monday, 4th September 2017 by Graham
A good evening. Graham and Ralf in discussion at the English cafe, also with prospective member Brigitte. After a supper at home I was too late to join expats at Mariannes Apero and Jazz event. But then at the English club, hosted by Andy (tennis and hikes), I met Peter (Aussie who attended the Jegenstorf castle event), Anna (NL, badminton and Jegenstorf , new ICB member), Selma (UZ, badminton), Momy (RU, dance, soprano). And Mark (ES, pianist) brought the key for the new grand piano which has been installed in the club, and he and new ESCB member Stefan (CH/UK, pianist and composer) played for us. It is amazing how ten people can know each other in two or more ways. The piano is a great addition to the club.
thank you for your interest in one or the other of the courses in the series entitled ‘’Making Sense’’, of which I am the moderator,
- 17-004, Beliefs: An Anthropological Approach (BAA, a new course),
- 17-005, Beyond The Headlines (BTH, continued from 2016-17).
Based on experiece gained in BTH 2016-17, a course in the ‘’Making Sense’’ series is more effective when attended by at least 5 or 6 participants. This is because the series is aimed at fostering personal research, independent thinking, collaboration, but also a fruitful debate among participants.
With this experience in mind, I take the liberty of suggesting that we meet, say on Thursday 19 October 2017 at 10:00 in the coffee bar of Generationen Haus Bern, in order to
- determine whether there would be scope for, and interest in, merging courses 17-004 and 17-005 (resulting in 5 participants)
- consider a different orientation for 17-004, if a majority thinks that the topic of Beliefs, though interesting, might be too restrictive,
- and, in the latter case, if you would be interested in a broader topic, e.g. ‘’Some major challenges of our time’’.
In cas you’re wondering, ‘’Some major challenges of our time’’ could cover
- The changing locus of power and influence (government, business, religion, media, civil society),
- The organization of individual lives (the fudging of boundaries between culture, work, health, leisure, relationships),
- Modern tools for awareness and action (civil society activities, an informed use of media, online learning, artificial intelligence).
I would be grateful for your answers to 3 questions:
1) Would you be intersted in the merger of courses 17-004 and 17-005?
2) Would you be available for an exploratory meeting, at the place and time suggested above?
3) Would you happen to know someone who might be interested in this? If so, she/he would be most welcome to join.
Come and join me! at any time between 5 and 7 at the GenerationenHaus. Possibly inside at the CafeBar or the corridor, or outside in the courtyard. It depends on the weather, where they have the music stage.